This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. As always all opinions are mine alone. #CraftAmazing #CollectiveBias
You know the best part of being a blogger, you get to start celebrating every holiday a little early! Usually I’m pretty bad about this part but this time around I’ve been trying my best to amp up my game. Remember the Christmas mantel? We hosted friends the day after Thanksgiving. As all of us had other plans on Thanksgiving day and had our fill of the usual holiday menu we decided to go with an international themed potluck. The fact that it was holiday party on Black Friday with a non holiday specific menu gave me the chance to debut my neutral holiday tablescape.
I’d normally use the red and green colors of Christmas as an excuse to go all out and deck the halls in my favorite color red but here I tried to keep it more restrained, neutral colors with pops of metallic (Did you notice the Scotch® Brand Glitter Orange tape accents?) and red in the form of gingham ribbon.
I got the idea to dress up the candleholders with Scotch® Expressions Glitter Tape when I came across them at the craft aisle at Walmart.
For the place settings, I mixed up the gold pine cone ornament (Yes that used to be an ornament!)
with a sprig of Holly.
My favorite is the recycled wine bottle candle holders (technically these are sparkling apple cider bottles as we don’t drink alcohol) and the Scotch® Expressions Tapes candles (tutorial at the bottom of the post).
A close second is the DIY Mercury glass mason jar vases (tutorial coming soon).
See what I did with that old ornament there? Add some orange glitter Scotch® Create washi tape around old ornaments and you have an instant update!
Oh, did I tell you the placemats are actually wrapping paper? 🙂 You all know I’ve thing for birds. The runner is 2 rolls of burlap ribbon with a gold/silver ribbon in the center (also found at Walmart) placed next to each other.
I’m loving the neutral color scheme! Want to know how to make the wine bottle washi tape candle holders?
- Old wine bottles – cleaned out and dried
- Tapered Candles
- Scotch® Expressions Black Washi Tape
- Scotch® Expressions Glitter Orange Tape
- Scotch® Create Super Glue (not shown)
- Start by taping the glitter orange tape around the clean wine bottle on the bottom end first.
- Repeat at the part where the bottle starts tapering, taking care to make sure that the tape ends on both the tape bands are on the same side.
- Keep the bottle aside while we work on the candles.
- Unlike the glass of the bottle the candles have a very smooth waxy surface. This means the tape is not as forgiving on the candle as it is on the glass bottle. So you have to get it right the first time around, at the max the second or third time. No peeling the tape on and off the candle trying to reposition the band.
- About an inch above the base of the candle start with the black washi tape band, followed by the orange glitter at about an inch intervals always making sure that the tape ends are aligned on the same side.
- While the black tape was fine the glitter tape, which is thicker, had trouble sticking onto itself. See the candle on the left in the below pic. In these cases I used the Scotch® Super Glue to stick the ends together.
- Once you are done with the washi tape bands melt the base of the candle over another lit candle.
- While the wax is melting place firmly over the mouth of the wine bottle and voila!
Have you crafted with Scotch® Expressions Tapes? Do check out the Scotch® Brand products website for more amazing craft ideas.
beautiful!!! I love it!
Super cute! I totally want to make those candles now!
Diana Rambles says
What a gorgeous tablescape. Love it!
Megan Harney says
That is gorgeous! I love your big table! The way you used the tape makes everything look so much more festive!
Great ideas! I love to decorate with burlap and flowers and springs of evergreen. Your tablescape turned out gorgeous.
I love the neutrals, I’m trying to stick to them for our holiday scheme this year too!
Julie S. says
What a great idea! I have several of these things laying around that I could make into a gorgeous spread like yours.
This is so pretty. Make it look so easy.
Gena @ Life With Captain Fussybuckets says
I love this decor! It is so simple, yet it looks so, so elegant!
Adelina Priddis says
What a beautiful tablescape.
Becky Meng says
This is a beautiful display and makes me want to come to your house right now!
Jenn - a traveling Wife says
This is beautiful. I love the use of the empty wine bottles. I have plenty of those laying around my house! 🙂
Those are super cute candles! And I absolutely love the placemats! What a fun tablescape.
What a great way to decorate. Don’t you just love the Scotch products!! I’d have never thought of using them on candles, but it looks great. Thanks for sharing your neutral decorating ideas, they’re fabulous.
Living Sunshine Life (@livingsunnylife) says
I love this idea! I’m always more likely to decorate in seasonal themes than for the holidays and I love what you’ve done!
Courtney Anne Mora-Ludwig says
I have been wanting to buy some washi tape. Holiday decorating is a great reason for a purchase of craft supplies.
Amy Anderson says
So pretty! I’m loving all the sparkle!!
Taylor- Lights Camera Catwalk says
Love what you did with your Scotch tape!