Ever since I saw some Glitter dipped feathers on Pinterest they have been on my DIY radar. The problem was, I could never think of a place they would go in our home until I started the navy and coral guest bedroom. Though the navy and coral are the main colors in the room there are many touches of gold throughout; the gold gilded frame and lamp shade, the brass hardware of the campaign dresser etc. These glitter feathers would fit right in above the dresser evening out the gold in that part of the room.
This project is very very simple and could make for a great kids craft. In fact my Monkey #2 helped me out a lot on this one; you can see her little hands in all the pics. These would also make a great centerpiece for a bridal shower or a teen girl’s birthday party.
You could string these glitter dipped feathers together to form a garland and use it as a backdrop for a party table setting or a photo booth….the possibilities are endless.
To make these you’d need;
- White Feathers – I bought mine from an online yard sale group but any craft store should have these
- Gold paint (acrylic)
- Mod Podge
- A cup or Styrofoam (to serve as a drying rack)
- Plastic Wrap (to keep the feathers from sticking to the work surface)
- Paper Plate
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap on your work surface.
- Place the feathers over it.
- Paint the tip of the feather with gold paint. The length of the dipped portion is totally up to you.
- Hold the feather in your hand and paint the back side of the painted area gold. This side doesn’t have to be perfectly covered but we do want to make sure that no big patches of white show through.
- Place the feather in the cup to dry.
- Round 2 starts with applying Mod Podge is the same way as the paint.
- Holding the feather over a paper plate (to catch any excess glitter) sprinkle glitter over the Mod Podge’d area.
- Let it dry in the cup and voila these pretty glitter dipped feathers are ready for display!
I call these type of projects, the simple joys of life. It may not be a big deal in the larger scheme of things but the smile that these pretties bring to my face whenever I walk past them is more than enough to keep me going through the day in a good mood.
What are your favorite feel good projects?
Vasudha S says
They are beautiful, what you call simple joys of life..